Would you like to help your community become more sustainable?
There is no shortage of local, sustainability issues. And, there are many easy and smart approaches to address challenges. It’s easier than you think to make a difference. Just follow the steps below and watch positive change happen in your community.
1) Know Your Passion: What sustainability issue resonates with you? It is different for everyone. What matters most to you? Identifying what moves you, will drive you forward and make your initiative successful.
2) Good Work in the Making: Is there a local group or leader that has the same interest as you? Great! Make a point to introduce yourself to them and share your vision. Work together, learn from each other and together, you will accomplish more and build a stronger community network.
3) Find Out What Is Working in Other Communities: Connect with people who have tackled a similar need in other towns, and learn from their experience. (These people will also be a great sounding board for you as you grow your initiative in your town.)
4) Reach Out to Other Local Green Leaders: People who care about one sustainability issue are supportive of sustainability in other areas as well. They may be busy, but they are usually happy to support your efforts and to connect you with other potential supporters. Also, many towns have green task force committees or groups and are a great source of information.
5) Welcome Other Community Leaders: Everyone is interested in sustainability at some level. Share your green initiative with community leaders at the school, government, and with other organizations. Once they understand your goals, they will be able to connect you with others who might have similar interests. And they are important members of the growing sustainable community.
6) Invite the Whole Community to Participate: Sustainability initiatives are most effective when they are shared. Positive efforts bring people together and create momentum. Invite people to help, in small or large ways, and watch your initiative grow!
7) Share Accomplishments with Others: Keep people in your community apprised of the good work you are doing and the positive effect your initiative has on the community. Share your progress with friends in other communities and encourage them to take action too!
Are you ready to start? Share your initiative now and support sustainability in your community.
Here’s What You Can Do RIGHT NOW!
- Join your community’s GreenTowns network and stay connected.
- Discover sustainability initiatives in your town.
- How green is your state? Check out GreenTowns Guides: Greenest States
Together, we will make a difference.